1. Score the fat layer of each piece of pork belly by making diagonal slices 2” apart and ¼” deep. Make sure not to cut too deeply into the fat layer to prevent the belly from coming apart while roasting.
2. Turn the pork belly over so the lean side is facing up. Spread 113 g of porchetta herb paste over the top of each pork belly.
3. Slice the 2 pork loins in half widthwise. Carefully butterfly the pork loins lengthwise, leaving it hinged on one side. Spread 113 g of porchetta herb paste on the inside of each pork loin. Fold the loin back over the top of the paste. Press together firmly.
4. Place the pork loin on top of the herb side of the pork belly. Tightly tie the pork belly to the pork loin with butcher’s twine. Space the loops 1” apart.
5. Place roasting racks in pans. Place the roast on the racks with the scored side of the pork belly up. Place in a heated 204°C (400ºF) convection oven for 1 hour. Reduce heat to 148°C (300ºF) for 45-50 minutes or until 65°C (150ºF) internal temperature is reached.
6. Allow to rest 1 hour. Cover and refrigerate for 24 hours before slicing. Remove butcher’s twine. Slice into 284 g portions for service. Place slices in a storage container in a single layer. Cover and refrigerate until needed.
7. Trim the carrots and fennel. Slice the carrots on the bias ¼” thick. Slice the fennel in half lengthwise. Remove the core. Slice lengthwise ¼” thick. Keep vegetables separate. Place in a stainless-steel mixing bowl. Drizzle 31 ml of olive oil over the top of each vegetable. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
8. Toss the vegetables in the bowls to coat them evenly with the olive oil. Spread them out on separate parchment-lined sheet pans in a single layer. Cooking times will vary. Place in a 176°C (350ºF) convection oven. Cook until lightly caramelized and tender. Allow to cool. Place in separate covered storage containers. Refrigerate until needed.
To prepare à la carte:
1. Place 62 ml of olive oil in a heated, nonstick sauté pan. Place a pork steak in the pan. Cook on both sides until lightly browned and just warmed through.
2. Cook 170 g of potatoes according to the recipe instructions for Fried Fingerling Potatoes. Place 57 g each of carrots and fennel on a metal baking pan. Place in a 176°C (350ºF) heated convection oven. Cook until just warmed through.
3. Ladle 43 ml of warmed pork jus lie on a warmed serving plate. Place the potatoes at the top of the plate. Place the carrots and fennel at the bottom of the plate. Place the porchetta steak on top of the vegetables.
Search Our Site…