Secret recipes are golden, but customers aren’t buying mystery ingredients.
Health, wellness, safety and product transparency have jumped from trendy to essential. More than ever, consumers value a window to awareness, and the Gordon Food Service Clear Choice program can help people feel good about their eating experience.
Your ability to explain about the foods you serve and the products you use builds satisfaction and trust at a time when it’s more important than ever. Some people want to know what’s in (and isn’t in) the food they eat. Others have diet restrictions or a desire to make decisions that benefit the planet and promote sustainability.
What is Clear Choice?
Clear Choice helps you find products that meet customers’ needs. The program highlights product attributes in six areas:
- Cleaner Ingredients — products with simple, recognizable ingredients with fewer additives.
- Animal Care — products that meet animal care certification and farming best practices.
- Sustainable Seafood — products sourced from fisheries that follow certified, sustainable management practices.
- Ethically Sourced — products obtained using third-party certification to assure farmers earn a living wage.
- Environmentally Friendly — products receiving third-party certification to protect the planet.
- Dietary Attributes — products prepared in compliance with dietary standards.
Why is Clear Choice important?
When you know what goes into products, you can communicate clearly with customers. It’s something they expect in an age when so much information is just a click away. Supporting their preferences for foods and products that carry personal, emotional importance sets the table for satisfaction — and return business.
A Technomic study done for a bioscience company prior to the pandemic showed 56% of consumers would stop visiting a foodservice location because of unclear food ingredient sourcing or negative news reports.
Similarly, in a Restaurants Canada’s 2020 Canadian Chef Survey, five of the top 10 hot trends include attributes addressed by products in the Clear Choice program:
- Plant-based burgers and sausages
- Sustainable seafood
- Meatless/vegetarian entrees
- Plant-based proteins
- Non-plastic/eco-friendly packaging
Clarifying transparency attributes helps customers celebrate what’s important to them: eating better, benefitting the planet and improving the future.
Ask your Gordon Food Service Sales Representative about the Clear Choice program and how you can provide product visibility customers want.